Renters' Rebate for Elderly or Disabled

Income-eligible renters who are elderly (65yrs.) or totally disabled (18-64 yrs.) may be eligible for a rebate from the state of CT again this year. Income and housing expenses determine the rebate amount.

State law provides a reimbursement program for Connecticut renters who are elderly or totally disabled, and whose incomes do not exceed certain limits. Persons renting an apartment or room, or living in cooperative housing or a mobile home may be eligible for this program.

Renters' rebates can be up to $900 for married couples and $700 for single persons. The renters' rebate amount is based on a graduated income scale and the amount of rent and utility payments (excluding telephone) made in the calendar year prior to the year in which the renter applies.

Application may be made from April 1st through October 1st. 

For more information and to apply, please call our office at 203-775-7312. 

What do I need to apply?

  • 2016 gross income below $35,200 if unmarried or $42,900 if married.
  • A copy of your 2016 income tax return (if filed)
  • Proof of all income for 2016 including Social Security, pension, V.A. pension, bank interest, stocks, bonds, rental income, etc.
  • Proof of all housing expenses paid for 2016 such as: rent, electric, gas, and fuel bills.

When and where do I apply?

  • April 1 to October 1, 2017 is the filing period.
  • Must have been a Connecticut resident for any 12 months prior to applying
  • To set up an appointment, please call Brookfield Social Services.

**If you have low vision and are interested in learning more about what assistance is available and what new treatments are on the horizon, please call Lorraine at 203-775-7312. We would like to get a group together that would provide very useful information as well as allow for the sharing of ideas amongst its members.

What are your Home care options?

Many people call and ask about help at home. This help can range anywhere from a few hours a week or month to help clean the home and maybe do some laundry or grocery shopping , to daily help with bathing and other personal care. Depending on your need and your financial situation, there are many options for you. Remember, home care can prevent unnecessary nursing home placements.

Non-medical care includes companions and homemakers. Companions provide company so that a person is not alone. In addition, homemakers can cook, clean or shop for someone. Home Health Aides perform hands-on care and can give baths, showers, and help with other personal care needs. Nurses, physical therapists and occupational therapists are skilled health options for those who need their services.

There are private agencies that provide homemaker and companion services and others that offer home health aides and skilled workers. Some agencies provide both. The costs range from around $18-22 the hour for companions and homemakers to $26-28/hour for home health aides with a 2 or 3 hour minimum. The costs will be much higher for nurses, PTs and OTs, but with a doctor’s note Medicare can pick up these costs for a time. For a list of provider agencies, please contact the Brookfield Senior Center or Social Services.