Food and Food Handling

Food and Food Handling

Food Service Establishments

PLEASE NOTE: The Connecticut Legislature passed and the Governor signed into Law Public Act 17-93, which will replace the CT Public Health Code with the FDA Food Code. Parts of this new law will become effective in late 2019. Prior to July 1, 2018, all Food Establishments (FEs), whether current or new, who are desirous of operating within the Town of Brookfield must first register with the State Department of Public health, before making application for a license to operate through the Brookfield Health Department. This includes, but is not limited to restaurants, catering kitchens, cafeterias, mobile restaurantsfood stores, retail outlets, or similar place where food or drink is prepared for sale or for service.The Town of Brookfield cannot issue a food establishment license unless that establishment is first registered with the State! For reference see:

We will post more information on this new transition to the FDA Food Code as it becomes available. Most Food Establishments are re-classified. All Class 2, 3 and 4 establishments will be required to have a Certified Food Protection Manager (CFPM) in place of a Qualified Food Operator (QFO).

Food Stores and Markets

Any person, firm or corporation who sells or keeps for sale any groceries, bakery products, confectioneries, meats, fish, vegetables, or fruits, must complete an application for license with the Brookfield Health Department and must comply with PHC Regulations 19-13-B40.

Temporary Food Events

Temporary Food Event Licenses (TFE) are required in all instances when food and beverages are offered to the public, even if there is no charge. Such events may be in conjunction with a carnival, public exhibition, festival, farmer's market or similar transitory gathering. TFE Licenses are for a temporary period of time not to exceed two (2) consecutive weeks.

Itinerant Food Vendors

All Mobile Food Carts and/or Trucks must hold a valid license from the Brookfield Health Department and comply with Public Health Code (PHC) regulations 19-13-B48.

Additional Information:

For Class III and IV Food Service Establishments discharging waste-water to Public Sewers, click here.

Food Code Changes effective October 1, 2017:

Changes to Food Establishment Licensing as a result of Connecticut’s adoption of the FDA Food Code through Public Act 17-93, effective October 1, 2017

Date: September 21, 2017

Food Service Establishments (FSE’s) are now referred to as “Food Establishments.” (FE’s) under the FDA Food Code

Most Food Establishments will be re-classified.

This will mean less frequent inspections for some Establishments, but not all. The new schedule will begin on October 1, 2017.

A new food inspection form is being developed by the Department of Public Health Food protection Program (FPP) and will be in effect as of July 1, 2018

Effective October 1, 2017, the new Act lowers, from 45 degrees F. to 41 degrees F. the MINIMUM temperature threshold for cold holding potentially hazardous foods

Effective October 1, 2017, the new Act lowers, from 140 degrees F. to 135 degrees F., the minimum temperature threshold for hot holding of potentially hazardous foods.

All Class 2, 3 and 4 food establishments will be required to employ a “Certified Food Protection Manager” or CFPM instead of a “Qualified Food Operator” or QFO, effective July 1, 2018. The bill requires that food inspectors must verify the food protection manager’s certification each time the establishment is inspected.   There will be more info on this in the coming months.

Food Service Establishment Complaint:

Please call the Brookfield Health Department at (203) 775-7315 or complete a complaint form and send it to us.