EMERGENCY APPLICATION FOR ABSENTEE BALLOT – ED-3E
An applicant must meet one of the following requirements to apply and receive an absentee ballot:
- Active service in the Armed Forces of the United States
- Absence from the town during all of the hours of voting
- An illness
- Religious tenets forbid secular activity on the day of the election, primary or referendum
- Duties as a primary, election or referendum official at a polling place other than their own during all of the hours of voting
- A physical disability
This application is ONLY for those who apply for an absentee ballot because of an unforeseen illness or physical disability occurring within six days before the close of the polls at an election, primary, referendum or because they are patients in a hospital within such six day period.
The applicant will fill out the application stating whether the applicant has an unforeseen illness, unforeseen physical disability within six days or a patient in the hospital within six days. The applicant may ask for the ballot to be mailed to him/her or may designate someone to deliver/return the application and the ballot to him/her. The designee must be:
- A person caring for the applicant because of the illness, including but not limited to a licensed physician or a registered or practical nurse
- A member of the applicants family
- A police officer in the municipality
- A registrar of voters, deputy registrar of voters or assistant registrar of voters in the municipality
The designee must sign the statement accepting the responsibility of picking up the application, delivering it to the voter, returning the application to the Town Clerk, delivering the ballot to the voter and finally returning the ballot to the Town Clerks Office before the close of the polls. The designee must show ID and sign the envelope when returning the ballot.
To fill out your ballot:
When the applicant receives their ballot the envelope will contain instructions, an inner envelope and an outer envelope. After you register your vote, insert your ballot into the inner envelope marked “B”, seal, sign and date the envelope then insert envelope “B” in the outer envelope. If all these steps are not followed your vote will be rejected.