RENTERS’ REBATE FOR ELDERLY or DISABLED
Income-eligible renters who are elderly (65yrs.) or totally disabled (18-64 yrs.) may be eligible for a rebate from the state of CT. Income and housing expenses determine the rebate amount.
What do I need to apply?
- 2015 gross income below $35,200 if single or $42,900 if married.
- A copy of your 2015 income tax return (if filed)
- Proof of all income for 2015 including Social Security, pension, V.A. pension, bank interest, stocks, bonds, rental income, etc.
- Proof of all housing expenses paid for 2015 such as: rent, electric, gas, and fuel bills.
- Must have been a Connecticut resident for any 12 months prior to applying.
When and where do I apply?
- April 1 to October 1, 2016 is the filing period.
- To set up an appointment, please call Brookfield Social Services (203-775-7312).
Reminder: Real Estate Tax CREDIT for Seniors
Real estate tax credit programs are available for eligible senior homeowners living in Brookfield.~ Please make sure you file each year. You will need a copy of your 2015 Federal Income Tax return or year-end tax statements if you do not file a return.
- The State Tax Credit: annual income limits ($35,200, single and $42,900, married). Applicants must be 65 years old by December 31, 2015 and must be property owner as of October 1, 2015.
- The Town Tax Credit: annual income limits ($49,280 single, $60,060 married) with a net assessment of your principal residence, not exceeding $240,180. Applicants must be current on real estate taxes and must have resided in the home for a period of five years.
- Applications for these two credits are filed between Feb. 1st and May 13, 2016 at the Brookfield Town Assessor’s office.~ Please check with the Assessor’s Office (203-775-7302) or Brookfield’s website (www.Brookfieldct.gov) for further details.