RENTERS’ REBATE FOR ELDERLY or DISABLED
Renters who are elderly or totally disabled, and whose incomes do not exceed certain limits, may be eligible for a rebate from the state of CT. Renters' rebates can be up to $900 for married couples and $700 for single persons. The renters' rebate amount is based on a graduated income scale and the amount of rent and utility payments (excluding telephone) paid in 2014.
When and where do I apply?
- April 1 to October 1, 2015 is the filing period for the Elderly or Disabled Tax Renters Rebate. An applicant must have been a Connecticut resident for any 12 months period prior to applying, have either reached the age of 65 by December 31, 2014 or be considered disabled by Social Security standards and be 18 years of age or older.
- To set up an appointment, please call Brookfield Social Services.
What do I need to apply?
- 2014 gross income below $34,600 if unmarried or $42,200 if married.
- A copy of your 2014 income tax return (if filed)
- Proof of all income for 2014 including Social Security, pension, V.A. pension, bank interest, stocks, bonds, rental income, etc. (no asset limit but income from assets is counted)
- Proof of all housing expenses paid for 2014 such as: rent, electric, gas, and fuel bills (cancelled checks). Applications cannot be filed without all the necessary documentation.
Medicare Savings Programs – new income limits
The State of Connecticut offers assistance paying Medicare insurance premiums. If you qualify for one of the three levels of the Medicare Savings Programs, the Medicare premium will no longer be deducted from your monthly Social Security check AND help is also provided for your Medicare Part D (Rx) deductible, copays and monthly premium.
Household income determines if you qualify for QMB, SLMB or ALMB. All three pay Medicare Part B premiums. The QMB has additional benefits. Applications are accepted year round and renewed annually. There are no asset limits. New income limits, effective March 1, 2015, are:~
- QMB~- $2,069.11 for a single person and $2,802.08 for a couple
- SLMB - $2,266.11for a single person and $3,067.68 for a couple
- ALMB~- $2,413.26 for a single person and $3,266.88 for a couple
Call Brookfield Social Services for an application or if you have questions.