To provide financial and administrative support services to maintain the fiscal integrity of the Town of Brookfield.
The Finance Department functions are performed on behalf of and in cooperation with the First Selectman and the Town Treasurer.
The Town of Brookfield Finance Department is responsible for effectively spending and investing resources provided by the Town’s taxpayers.
- Makes payments for services of employees
- Makes payments for goods and services of vendors
- Record receipts
- Monitors all non-tax receivables and grants
- Coordinates preparation of capital and operating budgets for town departments and the Board of Education
- Provides financial progress reports to various boards and town departments
- Maintains a system of accounts used by town departments as prescribed by the Board of Finance
Capital Assets and Debt Administration
- Arranges short-term notes and long-term bonds for operating and capital needs that are approved by the voters
- Monitors procedures to safeguard capital assets
- Administers various general liability insurance policies
- Monitors and maintains Health Insurance Fund
Generally, at the beginning of each calendar year, the Department produces a Certified Annual Financial Report (CAFR) of Brookfield’s use of these resources for ~the most recent fiscal year ending in June.